LEGO Disaster Island is a challenge where students will demonstrate their creativity, manage time constraints, and present their build to the group.
Students will be given a tray of randomly, assorted LEGO bricks and will have 20-25 minutes to build their very own LEGO island!
After that time has elapsed, students will be given a card that describes a “disaster.” They will then be given another tray of assorted LEGO bricks and will attempt to find a solution to avert the “disaster” affecting their island.
The instructions for this activity are very simple and open-ended: Pick a tray of LEGO bricks and you have 20-25 minutes to build an island. Set a timer and give time updates throughout the activity so students are aware of how much time they have left to build their island. While students are working on their islands, set up more trays of LEGO bricks for students. Place a “Disaster Card” with each tray. After the first 20-25 minutes have elapsed, ask students to go up and grab another tray and to read their card (see the Resources section below). Students will then have another 20-25 minutes to problem solve and create a solution to their impending disaster.
Conclusion of the Activity:
Students will share their creations and explain their design and how they designed a solution to their impending disaster. Take a photo or video of your finished challenge and share it with the Mid-Valley STEM-CTE Hub!
- What is more challenging (Coming up with an island creation or designing a solution to the disaster?)
- Share one positive design or idea that you wish you thought of?
- Do you have an idea that could make someone else’s design even better?
What are we discovering?:
- Students will demonstrate their creativity, connecting build ideas to the theme, managing the time well, and presenting their build to the group.
- Students will practice presentation skills as they share their designs and ideas with their classmates.
- Download the Disaster Cards (PDF)
- One variation is to create teams of students for this activity so it incorporates aspects of teamwork and cooperation into the island design and problem-solving.
- Bulk LEGO sets to help build your collection: LEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box