Welcome to our latest edition of #STEMCTEFridays! This is a special edition as we are highlighting the upcoming Computer Science Education Week (December 7-13).
Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek) is an annual call to action to inspire K-12 students to learn computer science, advocate for equity in computer science education, and celebrate the contributions of students, teachers, and partners to the field.
This year’s theme, as part of the #CSforGood movement, is #CSForSocialJustice. Without access to computer science and STEM courses, underrepresented students have limited opportunities and aspirations to develop computing knowledge.
Why is Computer Science Education Important for All Students?:
- The Hour of Code is a global movement introducing tens of millions of students worldwide to computer science, inspiring kids to learn more, breaking stereotypes, and leaving them feeling empowered.
- CodeBytes are 20-minute live-streamed mini-lessons to make it easy to give students a small taste of CS.
- Computer Science for Social Justice: An interactive choice board for students and teachers.
- CSEdWeek activities and resources based around themed days of the week:
- NASA has lesson plans and multimedia to support K-12 computer science education and Hour of Code activities.
- Download this special Computer Science Education Week issue of the Daily STEM Newsletter from Chris Woods!
- Exciting space-themed coding adventures by Tynker in collaboration with NASA!
- Want to make a musical instrument that sings, farts, and laughs? Author, Vicky Fang, has put together a fun tutorial introducing kids to Scratch coding where they’ll get to do just that! Recommended for ages 8 and up, or for younger kids with the help of a teacher/parent.
- Check out these new unplugged resources from CODE.org! They created a printable Hour of Code Unplugged Activity Packet for ages 4-18 so that students using limited technology at home can still participate. Plus, there are new unplugged activity options from their partners at Google, Kodable, iRobot, and more.
Resources For Educators
- The Constellations Center hosted a series of differentiated workshops for K-12 teachers to help them get ready for CSEdWeek.
- Webinar: Going Beyond the Hour of Code (hosted by CS for All Teachers) – Monday, Dec. 7, at 4 p.m. PT. Register here.
- A list of webinars taking place this week on a variety of computer science topics.
- Check out this huge list of Hour of Code Resources for educators, afterschool programs, and families.
- Check out this curated collection of social justice resources that can be optimized to incorporate CS!
Local Virtual Events:
- Join our Virtual Hour of Code on Wednesday, Dec. 9th at 3:00 p.m.
- Join our Lunch & Learn Presentation: Explore Computer Science at LBCC on Friday, Dec. 11th at 12:00 p.m.
Stay tuned for more updates to this page as we will be adding more fun activities and resources! Remember to check out all of our fun #STEMCTEFridays posts on our website.